The Best Movie Critic   +  Stanley Kubrick

From Hollywood Projects' 2001: A Space Odyssey story

I have seen 2001: A Space Odyssey exactly one time. I was in high school, and not surprisingly I had the classic, "Wait, this is one of the best movies of all time?" reaction. Over the years, as I've watched more and read more, I've learned that narrative coherence isn't the only valid direction for movies to take. In fact, my (relatively) recent interest in everything from postmodern social mutation to the comic books of Grant Morrison (or are those the same thing?) make me think that this might be right up my alley now. At the very least, it will be a wonder to see on the big screen. Nobody has ever faulted 2001 for a lack of visual majesty. I'll finally get my chance tomorrow night when 2001 comes to the big screen in Denver, at the Mayan Theater at 7pm and 9:45pm. Annoyingly, the Mayan Theater phone number is automated, and as I cannot figure out how to talk to a real person, I can't figure out if this is the infamous 70mm 2001 print or just a totally awesome 35mm 2001 print. Either way, I don't get the opportunity to see this movie on the big screen that often, so I'll be there at 7pm showing.

I attempted to contact the proprietor of the Hollywood Projects blog to see if he would let me repost his recent 2001: A Space Odyssey story here. I haven't heard back from him, so instead I'll link it for you guys. Hollywood Projects is a self-professed, "obsessive quest to rank all the movies, one director at a time." He (I think his name is Andrew, maybe?) is currently rapping up Stanley Kubrick's entire oeuvre. It's a cool idea, and very well written. Check it out.

From Hollywood Projects' 2001: A Space Odyssey story:

"Possibly the greatest film ever made that doesn’t make sense.

I’ve had an up and down history with 2001 over the years. I’m one of the lucky few — fewer all the time — to first experience the film as it was intended to be seen, in gorgeous 70mm. I knew before I left the monkeys that this would be one of my favorite films of all time, but then Kubrick threw a heavy bucket of ice water on my lap in the form of a giant space baby. If we’re clear about nothing else, let’s be crystal about one thing: I hated the giant space baby."

Read the whole shebang at The Hollywood Projects.

-Ben