The Best Movie Critic   +  Tuff Fest I

Get Tuff Fest I: Movie 9: The Expendables


Luke here, back with a new limited series where I talk about like 60 movies over the next 60 days. Click here for an explanation. Read on for the quick and dirty review!

The Expendables is everything that you think it is. It's a throwback to the testosterone-driven explosion-smorgasbord era of cinema, and really nothing more. At this point in my festival, a few friends had come over, and a few drinks were had, so any semblance of what the plot of this movie was almost entirely lost on me, but, as you probably guessed it, that didn't really matter. There were big manly men fighting each other, huge explosions, cameos, and every other sort of unabashedly self serving, masturbatory aspect of the epics given homage by this overblown production. Oh yeah, and it also totally ruled. It was just too much fun, even at its most base moments.