The Best Movie Critic   +  Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives

Get Tuff Fest I: Movie 8: Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives

Luke here, back with a new limited series where I talk about like 60 movies over the next 60 days. Click here for an explanation. Read on for the quick and dirty review!

Uncle Boonmee is a hard movie to really review. It's certainly beautiful, and definitely an experience, but it's not for everyone. It's another slow and contemplative movie, floating by at glacial speed. What is happening in the plot takes a back seat to deliberately weighty silences and long stretches of either metaphorical or literal wanderings. I did like it, and found it uncannily beautiful, but I can't say I really understood what was happening, and found myself getting so lost in it that I zoned out, my mind going on trips of it's own. When it would come back, it would appear that nothing much had changed since I left. If explored more deeply, I may come out of it with a deeper understanding of the plot or even the message, but I'm not sure I'll be quick to revisit this admittedly strange and beautiful movie.