The Best Movie Critic   +  review

Notes on Watching Hour, Laziness

I want to apologize for my lack of Watching Hour related posts while Ben has been searching the jungle for Tony Jaa. Truth is I've been busy, lazy, and haven't had much to say about the movies being screened this month.
I did just look at the upcoming movies in August and September, and we're all in for a treat. I just want to give a quick run down of some of the upcoming movies.

July 23rd and 24th - Scream - I'm really glad Keith is showing this. This movie is way better than the reputation it has. A solid slasher that is also smart and makes the most of meta fiction. If you haven't seen this, or haven't seen this since you were too young to appreciate it, I strongly recommend it.
July 30th and 31st - Series 7 - Haven't seen this, but it's about a crazed reality TV series where people try to kill each other. I was hoping to catch this, but I may not because it's being played on my birthday and I'll probably be getting drunk somewhere...

Aug 6th and 7th - Velvet Goldmine - This is not a very good movie, but I really love it. This is revisionist/idealized history about the glam era focusing on the question: how could Ziggy Stardust David Bowie morph into Let's Dance David Bowie. It is full of emotional truthiness and a lot of the characters are composite sketches for convenience. It's really bizarre and worth a watch.

Aug 13th and 14th - Jackie Brown - Probably "the best" Tarantino. I haven't seen enough Blaxplotation to get all the references, but I find something new to love every time I watch this.
Aug 20th and 21st - Wet Hot American Summer - Don't know much about this one.
Aug 27th and 28th - Troll 2 - So much fun it's criminal. I caught this at Watching Hour during the Denver Film Festival last year and was totally blown away by it. I love this movie so much. I will probably write a longer post on this as it gets closer. ALSO be sure to check out Best Worst Movie which is playing the same week. It is a documentary about Troll 2. Unfortunately I missed this the last time it was through because I was watching Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans, but I will definitely catch Best Worst Movie this time.
Sept 3rd and 4th - The Last Dragon - This is the biggest cash in this side of Shrek 5. A movie produced by Barry Gordy featuring Motown talent about a young black man who is obsessed with Bruce Lee and martial arts. There is an evil shogun named Sho' 'Nuff, no joke. The ending disco battle fight scene justifies this.
And that's as far as I'll go for now. Expect more in-depth looks at these from Ben as the hour draws nearer.