The Best Movie Critic   +  review

Guest Review by Jake from Speaker Snacks: Under Great White Northern Lights

I'm happy to introduce a post by a special guest blogger tonight. Jake is the guiding force behind the Speaker Snacks music blog. He has an uncanny knack for gathering huge amounts of free, legal, and easily download-able music from the far corners of the internet to one location. I dedicate an insane amount of time to seeking out good new music, but I just can't keep up. Speaker Snacks keeps up for me. Highly, highly recommended if you have even a passing interest in good new music. He's also my little brother. What can I say? Impeccable taste runs in the family. Anyway, last week Jake checked out an advanced screening of the new White Stripes doc that's been getting so much attention at SXSW and elsewhere. Here's what he has to say...

This past Monday I went down to Old Main Theater on CU Boulder's campus (great little theater) to check out the pre-screening for the new White Stripes documentary: 'Under Great White Northern Lights'. Here's a few thoughts...

Let's start with color. Why color? Well... because the colors fucking ruled! I mean whether you see it and love it or see it and absolutely hate it, you won't be able to deny how awesome the colors are. They take over the film. Shot mostly in black, white, and red, the film looks the part of an unorthodox, blues-rock duo from lowly Detroit (sorry Detroit people). It's got that grainy, rough aesthetic. And isn't the whole point of a music documentary to portray the look and feel of the band it's documenting? If so, Bravo director Emmett Malloy, Bravo.

What pops out next? I'd say the relationship between Jack and Meg. Cause let's face it, they have the weirdest “relationship” ever. Well at least I thought they did until I saw them on camera together. Clears the air quite a bit. Although, I still have my doubts... There's a scene where Jack forces Meg to look into the camera and admit that he's not a screen hog. As she opens her mouth to agree, he continues to talk over her. Though it would be extremely dysfunction for most, Jack and Meg's relationship somehow manages to work. It's a weird situation seeing such a high profile rock star like Meg crippled by such intense shyness and high anxiety. Jack, rather than coming off as an overbearing control freak, seems like more of a loving caretaker. That sounds bizarre on paper, but when you see in on film, the whole project comes to life. Their personalities are inseparable from their music.

I'd say the only real downfall of the documentary is the live performances. I know what you're thinking: “What?! Isn't the most important part of a music documentary the live footage?” And I guess I'd have to say no. Well at least not for this one anyhow. The live footage seemed almost out of place or something. Like it should have been left on the cutting room floor. In comparison to the interviews and backstage intimacy, the live sets are somewhat dull. No, this baby shines backstage, where it's left up to Jack and Meg's surreal relationship and off-the-wall personalities to steal the show. And that my friends is exactly what they do.

Magic Moment:
In each city they play, Jack and Meg perform short day sets for unsuspecting fans. Stops include city transit buses, boats and local pubs. Awesome footage! Better then the actual show footage, that's for sure.

-Jake, Speaker Snacks