The Best Movie Critic   +  TIME

8 Movies we Adored as Children - 12 Days of TMA

We continue our 12 Days of The Movie Advocate Lists today with 8 movies that we adored as children

Justin's List:
8. Wayne’s World

I distinctly remember spending a summer where I had virtually no TV recepetion, a crappy Sega Genesis game, and a VHS copy of this to keep me busy for like 3 weeks. Needless to say, I've seen this movie about 10 billion times, and is one of the only movies that I have completely memorized.

7. A Nightmare on Elm Street 6: Freddy’s Dead

I've seen this more than any of the other Freddy movies. Why couldn't Dream Warriors have come out when I was growing up?
6. Terminator 2: Judgment Day

As I recall, this was the first R-rated movie I saw. I don't think I could pick a better one today.

5. Batman

I saw this in the theaters and was somewhat scared. I watched it a million times on VHS. I had the edition with the commercial with Alfred pushing Diet Coke before the movie starts. It's the little details like that that stick with you...
4. Toxic Avenger

Strangely, the moment I became aware of shame was when I asked my mom to record this off TV for me. I had seen it before, but I guess was completely ignorant to the adult overtones the movie had... I was maybe 6 or 7. Mom called and questioned why I had seen this. I still feel ooky when I watch this today.
3. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: The Secret of the Ooze

It's weird to say that this movie doesn't live up to how I remembered it, but seriously, it's no where near as good as the first one. Instead, it's MORE MOVIE. Vanilla Ice and the ridiculous Super Shredder nonsense, somehow even for what it is, it lacks subtlety.

2. Harry and the Hendersons

I've probably seen this movie about 50 times, seriously, and I don't remember any of it. I'm not at all interested in re-watching this, and I still catch shit for how many times I made my Dad sit through this.
1. Superman

Superman, on the other hand, I'm completely unapologetic about. I love this movie, even still. It was one of the first blu-rays I bought and is one of my ultimate comfort movies. I don't think that it's possible to improve on it as far as superhero movies go.

Luke's List:
Runnners up: 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Abyss
8. The War

I haven't seen this movie since I was a child, when I would watch it about once every 4 months, and I almost don't want to see it again, because it probably too depressing. This movie started the Elijah Wood crush for me, most certainly. If not for the love affair with Rachel Leah Cook, my celebrity crush list would be a list of one.

7. Little Nemo

Okay, true fans of Nemo in Slumberland think this movie is dumb or whatever. But 8 year old Luke LOVED this, and was clearly not cool enough to have access to the original prints of the revolutionary newspaper comic. I watched this movie a billion times, and I say that without shame.

Editor's note: It's the damned squirrel, Luke! Seriously, WTF? Makes the movie unwatchable. Was being in the land of dreams and imagination not enough to be compelling for kids!?! -J
6. The Land Before Time

Everyone saw this ... but whose first showing was at their mother's office building where they just installed state of the art projection technology? I believe that number is 2. My sister and I. BLAM.

5. Liar Liar

Was this a "Kid's" movie? I have no idea. But I know that my sis and I and all our friends watched it about once every two weeks, and are still able to quote the heck out of it.

4. George of the Jungle

This movie. Oh man. I can still recite entire scenes from it. Its fun, and ridiculous, and should totally not work at all, considering that it's a kids movie for 90's era children based on 60's era Rocky and Bullwinkle rip off. That said, I still quote this movie at least once a week.

3. Grumpy Old Men

My love for this movie is probably closely tied to my adoration of my Minnesotan family members, as this movie, and its sequel, remind me so much of them. Sauna's, fishing, scandal, it's got it all!

2. The Sandlot

Okay, so if you had a childhood, you obviously loved this movie. If you didn't, do yourself a favor and watch this movie. Little more needs to be said.

1. Ghost

Yes, really. "Ghost?" you say? Yeah, GHOST. I have no idea, to this day, why I loved this movie as much as I did. But the fact remains that, in 5th grade, I watched this movie every night for more than a month. Yes there's an awesome "drag me to hell" scene. Yes ghosts are cool. But, seriously, in 5th grade, what else was there that I ought to have been so interested in? Nothing. This puzzles me to this day. But I can't deny that I adored Ghost more than any movie I'd ever seen, even if it was only for a short period of time.